GameCamp5 fast approaches!
GameCamp5 is drawing close and with a week and a day to go here are some details of the day ahead. Doors are open from 9:30am allowing you to grab a coffee, post-up details of any session you have planned on The Board and survey what’s been posted for 10:00am when the Unconference schedule goes live. At 4:30pm the sessions close and we head over to the student union for drinks!
Slots in The Board will be 45 minutes long with a break for a delicious lunch, so we recommend a 15/15/15 minute outline for kicking off a discussion, developing the conversation and finishing-off, dispersing and locating your choice of next session.
The popular Board Game Library is back and open all day. Please bring your own games to add to the collection – they will be weighed at the outset and when loaned and returned by other guests. Borrowing and playing games is a great way to enjoy a mix of discussion, meeting people and chilling out.
The Keyworth Centre Mezzanine floor will be a comfortable chill-out zone with beanbags for continuing choice conversations or just taking a break.
WiFi is available – please blog, Tweet, comment and communicate! Official hashtag: #gc5
What people have had to say about previous GameCamps:
- I’ve run a few sessions where I’ve led the discussion rather than prepared a talk. Its very rare to get artists, programmers, gamers and critics in the same room with free reign to talk about what they want. You get interesting responses and views on things that you had never considered. Its an amazing opportunity. ~ Simon Roth
- I ran a discussion group on Heavy Rain at GameCamp2 and a taster session for Arkham Horror at BoardGameCamp. It was great to be in a circle of people who were all interested in exploring the themes and how they felt about a game that tried to do something different with the genre. ~ Debbie Timmins
- ZombieLARP. Running around the abandoned corridors of a university building with NERF guns was amazing. ~ Debbie Timmins
- Best bits? The ability to just play. ~ Dr. Mike Reddy
- Very friendly people, amazing food, great organisation. When “all talked out” it was good to get around a board game and make new friends. ~ Sarbjit Bakhshi
- Whether you’re a seasoned professional or a wide-eyed wannabe, there’ll be something at GameCamp guaranteed to inspire, educate or simply put a grin on your face. ~ Rhianna Pratchett
- The GameCamps, with their UNconference nature, are unique and there should be more of them. ~ Dr Mike Reddy
- Free Lego? Dammit I knew I should have gone… ~ANJAL28
Example past session titles:
Art Astrophysics / Gladiatorial session on narrative / Caldsys2 Games 4 dyslexia / 2D art: vector vs pixel vs painting / Nerds: does it matter if we’re all the same? / Bomb disposal
You can find a growing list of attendees and live information on Lanyrd.com
Information about the venue and travelling to GameCamp5 can be found here.